Friday, March 16, 2012

Days Seventy Seven and Seventy Eight - Grand Canyon

Like I said in the last post, we left Las Vegas on Sunday, March 11th at 7 a.m. Daylight savings time had robbed us of a precious hour of sleep. When my alarm went off at 6 a.m., which felt like 5 a.m., which was a mere three hours after I had gone to bed, I was not happy. I cried a little. I whimpered. I screamed, "I hate you, daylight savings time. I hate you so much." I cried a little more. I finally got out of bed and stumbled around a little. I may have taken a shower. I can't remember clearly. Somehow I ended up in the car and we headed out of town.  

Five hours later, we arrived at the Grand Canyon! Barry was super pumped to check it out. When we got out of the car, Charlie looked like this, which is also how I felt.

While we were walking through the parking lot, the first six license plates I saw were from six different states. It made me think of all the stories you hear about parents dragging their children across the country on a road trip, only to arrive after days in the car to see a hole. Here's a collage of all the pictures I took of the license plates. The second one from the left in the bottom row is from the Yukon! That's not exactly a day trip.

After we made it out of the parking lot, we got to see the large hole. Here are some photos...

This side of the canyon never really sees the sun.

I'd like to interject to say... that it was cold at the Grand Canyon. Windy and cold. I realize I'm wearing every color and pattern known to man. You can't see it well here, but my scarf was also rainbow and eclectic. I had to dig through my winter stuff, which I thought had been packed away forever, to find anything to wear.


Apparently The Flinstones were from the Grand Canyon. This giant Fred was by a campground.

I think we were on Route 66 for a few miles. I was too tired to be sure, though.

New Mexico! We crossed this border in the afternoon sometime on Sunday.

This is what New Mexico looks like. All of it, as far as I can tell.

So on Sunday we drove five hours to the Grand Canyon, stopped for two, and drove another seven. We stayed in Albuquerque Sunday night, then drove about eleven hours on Monday to Austin, Texas. I think that adds up to three million hours.

On the last leg of the never ending drive, Barry really wanted to drive through Roswell, New Mexico. I guess it's near Area 51. If you haven't heard of that, here's a helpful clip from the movie Independence Day. Go to 4:45.

Does anyone else really want to watch this movie in its entirety now? No? Just me? Whatevs.

This is the only alien I saw.

A million hours later, we hit this. Woo hoo!

We saw this all along the road in Texas. I'm not sure what it is. I think they're oil rigs. I don't know why they were on fire, but they all were.

Late that evening, we arrived in Austin. We're staying at my mom's friend's Susie's house. I'll be back with some Austin adventures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment